Thursday, September 25, 2008

Six quick things


Right. It's high time I got my act together. So here goes:

1. Birthday things: More than two months late but with every good intention here are just a few of my birthday things. The 3 prints on the wall are from V. I chose them from the wall of the very talented Shaylind at her Etsy shop, Constant Dreamer. They arrived on schedule but we didn't get around to framing them for ages after. And then it took a couple more weeks till we got around to hanging them up. And I don't like these frames although they work for now. We may have taken procrastination to a whole new level but I LOVE the prints. They make me smile EVERY SINGLE MORNING. The two cookbooks are Nigella Express and a Madhur Jaffrey bible - thanks to a very generous book voucher from MG. The ipod dock is from Broom and lives in my kitchen. I do not know how I survived without it all these years. It has made using said cookbooks a lot more fun and both have conspired to make the food just a tad tastier! The London walks is a set of cards she 'donated' to my cause(?) of walking(!) from amidst her boxes of packing. It is as yet unused and the blame lies solely with me. The beautiful purple orchid is from G, who comes each week to check that I haven't yet killed it. The American Hot pizza was my sinful lunch on the day. And that beautiful cake is a vanilla chocolate marble lovingly decorated by J and enjoyed by all in the office, all day long.

2. I have uploaded my Paris pictures to the computer. The computer however is playing up and rejecting i-tunes updates, CD's and anything else its mood does not fancy. So the pictures to match our marvellous mini-break will have to wait till SOMEBODY decides to co-operate.

3. Work has been super busy with everyone deciding to take their summer vacations at the same time. I've had to put in longer hours and more brain power in the past two months than at any other time in the past 3 years. But despite all the outwardly moaning I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. It's been productive and I still find I am passionate and willing where my job is concerned. I think that is a good sign, no? V's has been manic with 5 am starts IN OFFICE and late nights still IN OFFICE for an entire week, thanks to the manic circumstances of his job amidst the financial market turmoil. His eyes need cucumber slices.

4. And amidst the outwardly busy world it's also been a time of quiet contemplation of life in our household. The last post was pretty self-explanatory I think. In a strange ironic way death always makes me think of life and how it is too short to waste or complain about. Which is not to say don't waste or complain but to say if you do either of those figure them quickly, DO SOMETHING, don't just get into a rut of whining. It also brings up all those memories of a wonderful life gone by and the unfairness of sudden loss. It is such a hard and long process, this grieveing, that all I can do is be patient and send my love and thoughts and memories to my friend in the hope that some of them will provide comfort in the face of the seemingly harsh reality that life does go on.

5. V and I are off on vacation. Finally. To Singapore, where our most delightful baby nephew awaits our attention. Or rather we await his. A week of tropical weather, family love, catching up with old friends, retail therapy, foodie heaven and wait for it, F1 GRAND PRIX LIVE WATCHING. If you have any suggestions of where to eat (keep in mind I am allergic to shellfish) or to shop please please do email me at the email address in the sidebar.

6. I will try and blog from there but I might be distracted so forgive me will ya? And I promise that October will be better and I will blog at least twice a week - after I get back that is. Will you hold me to it?

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:47 PM

    You hit the jackpot! What a lovely set of gifts. Enjoy your vacation. Watching F1 live, at night, what joy! I would give my left toe for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:47 PM

    You hit the jackpot! What a lovely set of gifts. Enjoy your vacation. Watching F1 live, at night, what joy! I would give my left toe for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:49 PM

    Oops!! I plead over enthusiasm and impatience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:34 PM

    Will certainly you hold you to the promise of two posts a week. Hope poor V and you get a rest. I think I may need some cucumber for A's eyes too, or at least toothpicks to keep them open.

    Hope your friend finds comfort and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mailing you rightaway...only the word Singapore and F1 jumped out at me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:04 AM

    u finally plugged it in?! :)

    have fun in singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. of course i will hold you to it! look forward to your next travelogue. have fun in Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:46 AM

    Have a wonderful time in Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruby has a wonderful property of being highly dynamic, which in turn, allows us to create all kinds of spectacular meta-programming scenarios. However, this comes at a price of minimal runtime and compile time optimization (JRuby and some other VM's are changing this).

    ================
    kimrennin
    buzz marketing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nigella Express is a no no for your gym-toned waistline darling. Enough of contemplation - go get drunk in Singapore. We'll just be miserable in London and await your promised return.

    ReplyDelete