Tuesday, January 18, 2005

And now I'm reading....Book 2

I like to think of myself as an avid reader - most subjects, anytime - give me a good book, plonk me on something comfy, turn on some music in the background and I'm in heaven! I'm planning on a sidebar link up to interesting book reviews, but till I understand the technology I'm just going to post on what I'm reading and how it turned out for me.

In 2005 I intend reading 30 books and reviewing them all. I read about 6 books over the Christmas/ New Year break but my speed is down due to the renewed pressure of work. Since the begining of 2005 I finished only 1 book. So Book 1 is A Patchwork Planet by Anne Tyler. It's a grand book (like all her others). The main character is Barnaby Gaitlin whose great-grandfather invented the 'Twinform', a wooden cut-out model with a custom-painted face, used for trying out clothes and accessories together, so that a lady might plan an outfit without having to get undressed. The Gaitlin family has been well-off ever since. All except Barnaby who is considered the black sheep of the family. Almost 30 (coincidence that I would pick this as my first book of 2005!), he has spent his adult life working for Rent-A-Back Inc., an agency that arranges to do chores for the old. He has fraught relationships with his parents, his ex-wife, his brother and his 9 year old daughter. But to his clients he is a hero - endlessly patient and hardworking. Anne Tyler paints a brilliant picture of Barnaby as a misfit on a personal journey that will change his, and everybody else's, view of himself. Uplifting in spirit, this story is worth a re-read every so often!

Here's what I'm reading now:
2. Zanzibar by Giles Fodden

My review will follow when I'm done! So far so good....

What book is in your hand at the mo?

3 comments:

  1. I've got 2 books on my bed side table at the moment... House of Blue Mangoes by David Davidar and End of the Affair by Graham Greene. Since arriving in the UK 3 months ago I've been devouring books by Indian authors... my homesickness acts out in many ways. So far I'm enjoying both books and will keep you posted on how I'm doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know all about the homesickness! Indian authors are fab and its so refreshing to sometimes read things so closely related in culture with our own. Blue Mangoes is one of my favourite books (see profile) - read and re-read many times.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go to my latest blog entry, you'll know why I have a few smileys here :-))

    ReplyDelete