Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Wish I May

Browsing in big fancy bookshops, as bright beautiful and mentally stimulating as it can be, is just not my thing. I find it almost heartbreaking to go into a bookshop and buy just one book. And books, as in multiples of them, being costly as they are, burn big sing-ed holes in my wallet.

As an alternate to the big bright lights, I have found trawling for books at bargain bookstores in Greenwich very rewarding. All these bookstores are small and cramped (mainly full of tourists) but their shelves often turn up treasures. I go to Greenwich quite regularly and very often find books that have been recommended this way or that.

As I don’t go to the big bright chain bookstores I rely in part on the wonderful Guardian Review and in part on word-of-mouth recommendations from family, friends, co-workers to keep a sharp-ish eye for what’s new, readable and in my sphere of interest.

So it was no surprise that I found ‘Wish I May’ by Justine Picardie tucked among the higher reaches of the bookshelves in Greenwich one Sunday afternoon last year. Fnished it and her is my take on it:

Book 6: Wish I May by Justine Picardie. In it, Kate Linden is a 35 year old single mother dreaming of a rosy future with an ideal man who will love both her and her son Sam. While she waits for the arrival of just such an accepting man she gets drawn back into the life of her handsome, domineering cousin Julian (son of her mother's twin sister). Examining her relationship with him, she returns to Julian’s childhood home and is forced to question the mysteries that have bothered her about the relationship between her mother and Julian's father and who was responsible for her mother's death in a car crash.

Kate struggles to make sense of her life and the shadows cast by the past. Fighting her way out of the murky details of the past, she finds herself spiralling towards the future and wishing for love to be the catalyst for the rest of her life.

This novel is mainly about the secrets of the past, and the search for living in the present is written. Justine Picardie lays down a woven yet clear pattern, setting out the intrigues and intricacies of families entwined by events affecting them all.

Another gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment