Sunday, January 09, 2005

The greatest circus of them all.....

As a child my mum took me to watch an Australian circus that had come to New Delhi. I don't remember where in Delhi, what age I was or whom we went with. What I do remember is that it was that one show that began my fascination with all the wonderful acts a circus brings together. Having said that I haven't seen as many as I would like. I have, however, now seen the greatest circus of them all.

Even at the end of 2005 (by when I hope life would have taken interesting exciting turns and loops) I will look back on this evening as having been one of the most exciting in my almost 30 years. It's nearly half past one in the morning and V & I have just spent our evening at the beautiful Royal Albert Hall in Kensington watching Dralion by Cirque du Soleil. I have been planning and plotting towards this moment for so long now (thinking about it and unable to afford it for 5 years; deciding to buy last Jan; buying and carrying the tickets around in my wallet since June 2004) that by Saturday afternoon all my enthusiasm had kind of faded away - mentally preparing myself for the big fall when it turned out not to be as brilliant as I imagined it. Just one look at the throngs of people at RAH on Saturday evening had me all fired up again. It was brilliant! This was an experience that has embedded itself on the inside of my eyelids. It was AMAZING - simply otherwordly!!!! Everything was perfect: from the gorgeous costumes to the powerful music, the adroit juglers to the dare-devil acrobats, the hilarious clowns to the complicated (very dangerous looking) balancing acts. All in perfect harmony, well thought through and prefectly executed. It was so consuming I barely blinked!! I am hoping to go back and watch them when they come back next year with a different show. I would recommend them to anyone with any degree of enthusiasm about circus acts. It was AMAZING! If they come anywhere near you splurge and go watch them - you will not regret it!

1 comment:

  1. I have seen 'O' by Circue de Soleil in Las Vegas and it was amazing too. The sheer magnitude of the production was mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete