Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Preacher man

This morning I woke up late and happy. I decided to avoid the sardine can tube and took the bus to work. So ipod in ears, taking in the views of peak hour London, I am enjoying the bus ride snaking its way to the City. All is well with the world as I know it.

Quarter way into the journey, amidst a gaggle of eager beaver office goers, a well dressed man with a black rucksack gets on the bus. He stands in the area reserved for wheelchairs and pushchairs as needed. He takes a sign out of his bag and hangs it around his neck. It’s bold lettering clashes against the small check of his shirt and proclaims: REPENT YOUR SINS! REDEEM YOURSELF IN THE EYES OF THE LORD!

And then he starts on a sermon about how we must all become Christian, go to church, repent our sins, find peace. About how we could all die this very minute, or at the next crossing, or maybe tomorrow and would go straight to hell if we hadn’t found our path by then. I have to say I could only make out snatches of what he said over the music from my ipod but it was engaging to watch most of the passengers pay attention and listen with interest. Bus folk are so unlike Tube folk. For Tube folk acknowledging that anyone else exists is taboo. I suspect the summer air has gone to the heads of the Bus folk.

Then I pressed pause on the ipod to scroll through the playlist looking for some inspiration and I heard this:

Preacher man extolling the virtues of repenting our sins: This morning how do you think you woke up? You only woke up because God himself made you wake up. Did you hear me? It’s God that made you wake up.

Very white collar worker with mid-row view: No way MY-TE (that’s mate to you and me), it was my alarm clock!

Round of laughter and applause. Almost everyone got off at Aldgate East.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:39 PM

    There's one been hanging around this area too, think it could be the same one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:34 PM

    I dont mind general lectures like that, but I really resent the one-on-one conversion sessions that some people try to force on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a god, thats why he created to the Ipod to drown out stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:14 PM

    God and I need to have a talk, about adding a snooze button to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And thank god for ipod :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! Someone should have thrown him off the bus too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. J: e-mail me please. I can't use the invite fro some strange reason - am technologically very backward!!!

    ReplyDelete